Thursday, February 28, 2013

~~ Public Opinion ~~

1.) Is American News Media too dependent on polls? Is it appropriate for news agencies to create polls and then report on them? Why or why not?
      I don't believe that American News Media is too dependent on information gathered from polls. I think it is good that news agencies choose to do these types of things because it gets the issues at hand more attention from potential voters. It stirs them up and gets them talking about and discussing issues, which in turn gets them involved with the issues important to them and makes them use their voice and and freedom of speech to express their agreement or disagreement on the current issues at hand. It spreads the word on the issues to a much broader audience which allows for more participation from the public when it comes to voting and supporting or standing against various issues.

2.) How important is political party identification to you (e.g. as a Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, etc.)? Was it more or less important to your parents or grandparents? Does it seem more or less important to your friends? Why or why not?
     Political party affiliation is not as near as important to me as the issues at hand. I tend to follow the issues I am interested in more than I follow the parties because the issues are responsible for our rights and responsibilities at citizens of the United States. Both my parents and grand-parents were very dedicated to the party of their choice. It was often talked about in our home as I was growing up, especially at election time. It was hammered into my head what political party I should be affiliated with until I came to voting age, and then I was basically told who they wanted me to vote for based on political party. It was never issues, and always about the parties themselves. Of course, with that being said I registered under the opposing political party, but I cast my votes based on issues and not to party dedication. Even though I am registered as one political party I still have the right to vote for candidates form other political parties that are on the ballot, and often due. I vote for who I agree with more on certain political issues rather than party dedication. In speaking with my friends, they seem to be more issue related as well, regardless of what political party they are registered to vote under. I think this is because our society as a whole is becoming more and more aware of what is going on in the world around them in this day and time and realize that the views of politicians are wide spread. Just because I vote for a certain politician doesn't mean that I agree with everything they bring to the table either. It just means that I agree with them on more of the issues I find important than other candidates and I think they would be the better person to do the job.

3.) Do you feel that your opinion of politics is more influenced by economic issues or by social issues? Why?
     I find that my opinion of politics is based on both. Both are important to me. Of course, in trying economic times, your opinion becomes stronger on issues regarding money. In times when the economic situation is good, you focus more on the other issues at hand, such as right's, gun issues, abortion issues, Social Security issues, or any other issues that are important to me at the time. So many things influence what is important to me. My son is in the service so I am always interested in issues dealing with war and military deployment. I have friends in the gay and lesbian community, so when those issues are brought up, they are important to me because it affects the life-style of my friends. It's all based on a combination of so many different things.


 Blog Comments:
 Rachel Bunch
 Ian Price
 Brandi Lively

6 comments:

  1. I agree with 2 and 3. The political parties have become more important than they need to be. We use them to separated each other when were supposed to be the Unites States. And I think that number 3 is too personal to really agree or disagree with. It's all a matter of what affects you. Generally both affect people who are really involved in politics however Im still young and just starting to get involved very slowly so both do not affect me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the polls. They are very important for us to be able to understand opinion trends in the country. They are also important historically to understand the way opinions shift, change, and go back and forth over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was pleasant reading your responses. I do agree that the polls help influence individuals into action and I think that really helps to keep the government in check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about the polls. Polls are the main way we voice our opinion, so the media could never be to dependent on polls. The news agency that creates the polls should be able to comment on their own polls, because it gives us more information why they created the poll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My life was exactly the opposite of yours, but I think it lead me to the same spot as you. Growing up I heard next to nothing about politics. My parents didn't really care, or if they did I never knew about it. Because of that, I don't affiliate myself with particular parties, but rather lean toward the candidate who best suits my particular beliefs and life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to everyone who stopped by and commented on my blog. I respect and appreciate your opinions.

    ReplyDelete